Baserunning Drill by Pete Sprenkle
This is a great drill for a warm up for practice. Use it both to teach and to practice.
We do three cycles:
- Run through the base as if beating out an infield hit. Stress running through the base to the “X”. Also, have a coach with a ball down the RF line. If the runner sees the ball continue on to 2B. If the runner doesn’t see the ball return to 1B. (Pick up an overthrow)
- Run to 1B, take a turn and pick up the ball in the outfield. (Coach holds the ball)
- Running to 1B, coach points to 2B and runner runs hard to 2B.
- After each cycle runners return to the end of the line at home plate.
(This relates to the image)
RUNNING TO FIRST BASE
- RUN THROUGH THE BASE TO TEN FEET BEYOND (X). PICK UP THE BALL OVER YOUR RIGHT SHOULDER ON AN OVERTHROW
- IF THE COACH POINTS TO 2B TURN TO SECOND BASE USING AN ANGLE TURN.